Being diagnosed with a cancer can be a frightening and anxious time.
There are so many things to be considered such as what impact will it have on my life, my family’s lives, what treatments are available and what side effects will they cause. We know that you will probably be busy with hospital appointments and tests, but we want you to know we are here to support you.
For any medical concerns please do feel free to get in touch with the clinical team here at Long Lane. We are not Cancer Specialists, but we have huge experience in helping cancer patients outside the hospital. This can be medication, advice, referrals and pain relief strategies.
Below is a list of useful links to teams that specialise in helping people with cancer:
Macmillan Cancer Support: They have a wide range of information for patients, families and children. They have on-line communities and blogs written by other people who have been diagnosed with cancer. They offer support with emotional, financial, employment and practical help.
You can get more infomation at the Macmillan Support Guide Or telephone them on: 0808 808 00 00
- Cancer Research UK has great information about symptoms of cancer, cancer types and treatments. Please go to www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/cancer-in-general for more information
- LOROS Hospice is a local charity and every year we care for over 2,500 people across Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland. We provide free, high-quality, compassionate care and support to terminally ill adult patients, their family and carers. www.loros.co.uk
- Cancer Support UK offers Support groups, practical and emotional support, and a Cancer Coach Program. Please click on: www.cancersupportuk.org
- Rainbows: For children with cancer there is www.rainbows.co.uk who offer a comprehensive support service for children and their families.
- Citizens Advice Leicestershire: They offer support with finances, welfare benefits and have striong links with the Macmillan team. Please go to: www.citizensadviceleicestershire.org/get-advice/macmillan/
For a list of other local Cancer Support Services please go to: www.cancercaremap.org/search/
For dealing with bereavement there is great support at www.thelauracentre.org.uk/services